Anthony Sanchez | Jun 21, 2012
Perhaps you’ve wrapped up the day at the Rio+20 Conference and now you’re looking to unwind and tell Ba Ki Moon what you really think. Here are 7 place to party while in Rio during the Rio+20 conferences where you might catch a glimpse of BKM.
1. Rio Scenarium Called “the most beautiful bar in rio” located in the hip and trendy Lapa you can get authentic Brazilian food and hear authentic music, like Forró and samba.
2. Lapa Na Pressão Take two interconnected and historic houses, a dance floor, an amazing kitchen and a stage put them in Lapa and you get Lapa Na Pressão (Lapa in pressure).
3. Casa da Matriz. An historic 18th century mansion converted in to one of the hottest clubs in Rio. That’s Casa da Matriz. You’ll pay dearly to get in to this club but the underground feel and hip crowd will be worth it.
4. Bar Devassa. This boteco (local bar) boasts a hip crowd and best in Rio de Janeiro home brews.
5. Lord Jim’s Pub. The oldest pub in RJ, Lord Jim’s (a British Pub) has live music, a great happy hour and the best Fish and Chips you’ll find in Rio.
6. Beach Parties. Informal parties that seem to spontaneously appear out of nowhere. Location, Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon beaches. Watch out for your wallets and purses.
7. Empório. This rock bar is one of the most famous in Rio with big weekend crowds, a tiny dance floor, stiff drinks, all at a great price.
If you hit all these place and still haven’t found Ban Ki Moon then check the penthouse suite at the Copacabana Palace. The stucco-finished building is Rio’s most luxurious hotel and there is no doubt he won’t be staying anywhere else. Not sure how you’ll make it passed his body guards though.
About the Author: Anthony Sanchez adopted the Bay Area as his home over 10 years ago and continues to rediscover its beauty as he studies the human species on a daily basis. He’s traveled the world, speaks many languages and licked a banana slug once.