The Hound | Jan 05, 2012
San Diego is a great place to hold an event. The recently renovated San Diego Convention Center is a work of art and the city boasts great restaurants, bars and nightlife. But there are some fun – and odd – facts about San Diego you may not know.
- Hypnotism is banned by public schools in San Diego.
- None of the lakes in San Diego allow swimming. (note, all lakes are man-made, you aren’t missing much)
- San Diego is home to the USA’s largest wooden structure; the Hotel Del Coronado is in San Diego on Coronado island.
- Hua Mei, the first baby panda was born in San Diego’s Zoo to a pair of giant pandas. She was the first baby panda to be born in the Western Hemisphere since 19
- San Diego boasts more fleas than any other city in the US
- Charles Lindbergh flew off from San Diego on May 9, 1927, in the Spirit of St. Louis, headed for New York, and then non-stop to Paris.
- The world’s oldest, still working ship, the “Star of India” built in 1863 has her home port in San Diego. She has completed 21 circumnavigations.
- Each year over 200 cruise ships berth in San Diego harbor.
- San Diego, California is the ninth largest city in the United States
- Legal drinking age is 21. Across the border in Tijuana, it’s 18.
About the Author: The Hound helps people find, research and connect with the conferences that enable them to grow their careers, enrich their professional lives and have fun while making the most of the conference-going experience.